Arranging A Funeral Service For Our Loved Ones
Funerals are often a time of distress for families and funeral arrangements made under these circumstances can be challenging as one may need to coordinate multiple issues. Here’s a guide to help you arrange a funeral service for your loved one:
OBTAINING A DEATH CERTIFICATE
Contact the doctor of the deceased. The doctor will give you a medical certificate or if the deceased had died in hospital, you will obtain the document stating the cause of death.
Make a report to the Police who will issue you with a death certificate.
INFORM THE PARISH SECRETARIAT
- Submit a copy of the death certificate and baptism certificate to the Parish Office.
- Inform the Parish Staff the duration of the wake and the intended date of funeral.
- The parish secretary will arrange for a priest and venue for the funeral service. In event that our parish priests and/or the parish venue is unavailable, the parish staff will arrange for another venue and/or priest.
ARRANGING FOR A FUNERAL COMPANY
Contact your preferred funeral company who will do the necessary arrangements regarding the type of casket according to your means and preference, as well as the date and time of the funeral.
The funeral director will obtain for you a certificate of disposal of either cremation or burial.
The parish will arrange for prayers to be recited at the wake by the Lazarus Ministry.
You may also invite other prayer groups to say prayers at the wake.
PLANNING FOR FUNERAL SERVICE
The parish will also arrange for a funeral minister to visit you at the wake and assist you with the preparations for the funeral service (Mass readings, hymns etc.)
On the day of funeral, the priest first goes to pray before the coffin is closed and brought to Church.
When the funeral hearse arrives at the church, the priest meets the funeral cortege, and after a brief prayer, walks ahead of the coffin and bearers which is followed by the mourners. The service continues in the chapel.
After the service, the funeral procession will continue to the columbarium or cemetery. The funeral minister will lead the prayers of committal before the burial or cremation.
INTERNMENT OF ASHES
- You may wish to consult your family members regarding the internment of ashes in your preferred columbarium.
- Here’s a list of parishes with a columbarium
- Church of Christ the King
- Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour
- Church of St Anthony
- Church of St Francis of Assisi
- Church of St Francis Xavier
- Church of St Ignatius
- Church of St Mary of the Angels
- Church of St Michael
- Church of St Teresa
- Church of Sts Peter and Paul
- Church of the Holy Family
- Church of the Holy Spirit
- Church of the Holy Trinity
- Church of the Immaculate Heart of Mary
- Church of the Sacred Heart
- St Anne’s Church
- St Joseph’s Church (Bukit Timah)
The Lazarus Ministry coordinate the above services to help our community get through the difficult period with a peace of mind, striving to serve our parishioners in the charism of the Divine Mercy.
For enquiries or assistance, please call:
Address: 19 Pasir Ris St 72 Singapore 518771
Phone: +65 6583 3378